Monday, December 14, 2009

Arambol, India

Hot,Hot,Hot! Doing a nice job not getting sunburned, but boy is it warm during the day. The breezes are nice and cool though, and as soon as the sun sets each night, it is a very pleasant 70F, maybe 75. I wish I had all kinds of fun stuff to report, but I have to say- life here is slow and simple and very relaxing. My only missions yesterday were to find dental floss and get a bus or train ticket to Mumbai. I failed at mission floss, but I was able to book a bus ticket, which is for this evening- an overnight trip. I made a friend yesterday and we spent half the day at an open air restaurant on the beach just talking and drinking coffee and then we spent the other half of the day a few minutes down the beach at a quiet restaurant with an open, tiled patio with hammocks and chair swings. Motorcycle ride, sunset from the beach, curry and rice dinner, tasty beers that are only brewed in Goa...And to fall asleep in my little beach hut with the sound of waves hitting the shore- that is a good day. But, I remember waking up at 4am and I was in such a panic because I couldn't remember where I was. Kind of like the first night you sleep in a new house.. I was sooooo confused and I think I must have been dreaming that I was sleeping ON the beach, because I practically am with this beach hut, and it took a minute to realize I was in bed and all my stuff was where it should be....My friend is from Mumbai, so we are taking the bus together up north to the city and I am thankful to have a personal guide while I am there for a few days. Just enjoying the rest of the day in Arambol- almost time for lunch or maybe just some dessert since there are so many cute little bakeries here. I just had my holey dog bite pants repaired by one of the millions of tailors sitting in their stalls making bags and scarves here in Arambol. He used an ancient looking sewing machine to put a nice little canvas patch on the hole- now I have fancy pants. I should go trade them out for my shorts and spare all of these tourists and locals from my retina-burning, fluorescent white legs.

1 comment: