Friday, December 18, 2009

Mumbai, India

Still alive and well in Mumbai...I have been been so fortunate in having a friend here in the city to spend time with and and I could not be happier that the experiences I am having are not like any that a tourist would have here. To be able to go into people's homes and see how they live and eat a home-cooked Indian meal, to meet the friends of my friend and sit around drinking beers, listening to what they talk about and to have an intimate peek into their lives is so different from just walking around looking at touristy sights that lonely planet tells me to see. Hanging out with locals away from the tourist district has been interesting because there is always staring, even more so than when I am alone. I thought I would have gotten used to the staring after two weeks in Burma last year, but I don't think it is something I will ever get used to and unfortunately the only way I can handle it is to look down all the time. Just imagine walking into a crowded restaurant and having every pair of eyes look up at you, not just for a second, but for a long time. And it is not just that I am the only white-skinned blonde, it seems that I am usually the only female in any restaurant or drinking establishment in the evening. Locals crane their necks on the sidewalk, peek into the cab that I am riding in, follow me for a few blocks while I walk around, so much staring- sometimes I just laugh and sometimes I am just uncomfortable, sometimes I stare back. People here love my camera too. I rarely walk around with it around my neck, but when I do everyone wants me to take a picture of them, which isn't a bad thing. Sometimes they are doing it because they want money, but mostly they just like seeing the image of themselves after I take the picture. The tables turned on me yesterday though, when I was at the Gateway to India, which is just a big stone arch-like structure that is more of an attraction for Indians than foreigners. I was snapping a few shots and then some brave teen-aged boys asked to take my picture with their cell phones, which turned into a 10 minute photo shoot as they all started taking turns posing with me in front of the monument.
I got my third rabies shot yesterday, I think I have one more to go. This time I actually went to a hospital to get the shot. This hospital was nothing fancy or pristine and certainly not very sterile looking, but having to get these shots has been fun because it gives me something new to experience and see. First we inquired at the help desk and she sent us to the pharmacy. The pharmacy said I needed a prescription which was frustrating because I have never needed one before, so we went and talked to a nurse around the corner who just wrote down the dates I got my previous shots and then we took that back to the pharmacy. The pharmacy took my age and name and then printed out a kind of bill or invoice and I had to take that across the hall to the "bank" where I paid my bill. With the receipt, I went back to the pharmacy and got the vaccine and then walked over to the emergency room area- nothing like back home, mind you- and my friend asked one of the nurses if one of them could give me the injection. So a nurse who wasn't busy had me follow her to a room just up the hallway- hospital bed with a filthy cover, old curtain, bars on the window, rusty sink, no one wears medical gloves....All the nurses wear a white hat, white dresses, white stockings and white shoes. She at least disinfected the area of my arm where she gave me the shot and then she stabbed me and that was that. No actual charge for the injection- just the medicine. Anyway, I plan on being in Mumbai for a bit longer and look forward to spending my time as though I live here. I do plan to take a ride on the train that bisects the city just for some pictures and people watching, peeking at some of the slums along the way. I keep forgetting that it is December with the hot weather and since I never know what day it is, I am afraid I will completely forget about Christmas what with the lack of ANY Christmas decorations here. very different.

9 comments:

  1. hey Em! Where did you meet this nice friend of yours? That is great to get inside of a home. That's how I felt when we went to Germany and we went INSIDE a home! So cool. Well, you may not know what day it is there, but, believe me, it is certainly Christmas here!!!! Every station plays Christmas music (which I love thank goodness), my house is full of greens,fluffy snow and, well you know how overboard I get! I'm at the Ronald McDonald House now.... but I should be shopping! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i see that the computer thinks Taylor wrote that, but obviously it's because i am sitting on her computer! wierd! (TERRI)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've gained some insight and thanks for sharing it with us.

    Keep snapping! I'm looking forward to the next batch of pics.

    Keep enjoying the journey!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    I don't know how often you check facebook or your email, but I've sent you some informative emails as of 9 AM on 18 DEC 09 Mumbai time. These are MUST READ's.

    JD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Make that the 19 DEC 09, at 9 AM Mumbai. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. J- got the emails...thank you. I am averaging an email check about every other day, just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i still haven't figured out how to post these, sometimes its AL or zonie or anonymous, who am I?? Glad to hear you are having very personal experiences of the life in Mumbai, soak it all in and can't wait to see the next set of photos, then I can send Grama some. She just got the first batch of "blog writings" from me and of course on one hand she'll worry about your experiences but on the other she's thrilled to hear of them! Stay happy and safe.
    Love AL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily,

    How are things going? You've been off the grid for a while. You're probably moving around quite a bit and getting ready to piece together a monster report. I'm eagerly waiting on this end.

    By the way, if for some reason I don't get back to the blog before Christmas, I wanted to wish you and the rest of your blog family the best in holiday wishes.

    Have fun!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily,
    So I caught up on your blog and now I am home sick....THATS SICK OF HOME! I don't think many people will understand your experiences in India unless they go, but keep your good sense with you and DO BE SAFE! What I did for my blog was change the setting on my camera to a lower quality and the pictures would upload a lot quicker. I just got upset when I would forget to switch my camera back to high quality and I would take an amazing picture on the wrong setting. Keep up on the posting as they are great so far and Merry Christmas to you!
    Lucas

    ReplyDelete